Stosh

Monday, February 20, 2006

It's the Singer, Not the Song

Or is it?

Was listening to some Afghan Whigs this morning, and it struck me just how bad/ordinary Greg Dulli's voice is on certain songs. It got me thinking (which is rare for the train ride into work): What are some other singers, either solo artists or from good/great bands, whose voices aren't stereotypically "great" but are cool in other ways? The short list off the top of my head -- checking the iPod is just too easy -- and in no particular order:

  • Bob Dylan
  • Lou Reed
  • Greg Dulli
  • Stephin Merritt
  • Mac McCaughan
  • Gerard Langley (Blue Aeroplanes)
  • Kevin Salem
  • Billy Bragg
  • Johnny Rotten
Thoughts, dear reader(s)?

Switching gears, props to Bode Miller for proving to be a huge fraud. Way to go!

3 Comments:

  • I agree with most of your picks, however I think Mac McCaughan's and Billy Bragg's voices are both great. Perfect for their styles of music.

    Another one I'd add to your list is Mick Jagger.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 PM  

  • I'm a big Mac fan, yet I think if you asked most people, they'd say his voice is not technically "good". It's certainly a voice that fits, I agree, and I've never had any problems with anything he's done. I used to be more of a Bragg fan and don't think he's got a bad voice; just not a typical one. Maybe he doesn't belong on the list?

    By Blogger MH, at 2:09 PM  

  • Mark Lanegan, Will Oldham

    By Blogger Jeff, at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home