Stosh

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Broken Ankiel

The headline's a stretch, I know. But, wow, what a strange story out of St. Louis Cardinals' camp today. Rick Ankiel, an extremely promising pitcher who excelled as a rookie in 2000 before wigging out in the playoffs and then experienced arm problems, is calling it quits as a hurler and will attempt to make the team as an outfielder. We've seen this before, in reverse: Brooks Kieschnick was a flop Cubs outfield prospect who's now a decent reliever for the Brewers, and Ron Mahay, now with the Rangers, did the same thing. I'd be interested to know if anyone has made the transition from pitcher to player, though; looking at Ankiel's stats, he was certainly a good-hitting pitcher, but indications are he'll be nothing more than a mediocre swinger (so to speak).

As much as I hate the Cardinals, it's tough to see anyone going through any form of Steve Blass Disease. I'm sure that if Ankiel had been successful as a pitcher, I'd end up despising him as much as, say, Matt Morris. But I'm rooting for him for the time being, right up until he ends up hurting the Cubs with a key hit.

And while I'm tossing out some lukewarm Cardinals love, I can't stand Tony LaRussa as a manager, but I greatly admire him for his Animal Rescue Foundation.

1 Comments:

  • Isn't it crazy?

    Everyone who saw him melt down in the 2000 playoffs remembers it: a 21-year-old phenom's pitching career going down the toilet in a few short innings. I've never seen anything quite like it.

    I doubt he'll cut it as an outfielder, but I do wish him luck. These days, it seems like you have to be able to hit at least 15 homers a year, or steal 30 bases and hit .280, to keep your job as an outfielder in the bigs. I don't think Ankiel has it in him.

    By Blogger Elbo, at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home