Stosh

Monday, February 21, 2005

Hoop Dreams

The NBA All-Star Weekend is a good point, I suppose, to discuss my fantasy basketball team:

Festivus Miracles, World Basketball Association (Yahoo!), 7th Place, 46 points
As you can see, my team is mediocre. I've been as high as third place with 53 points, but I've fallen back to the pack in recent weeks. I didn't like my team as drafted, though I did do well in the first five rounds: Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, Ben Wallace, Pau Gasol and Dwyane Wade. The latter two, I'm especially glad to have as they're two of my favorite players. (I bumped up Wade in my pre-draft rankings, and he's a freaking steal in the fifth round.) But with the exception of Emeka Okafor (whom I ended up dealing in a trade for Yao Ming), the rest of my draft was weak.


That's not to say that I haven't made mistakes with what I did have. Boy, have I made them. Needing assists and three-pointers, I dealt O'Neal while he was suspended for Carlos Arroyo and Jim Jackson. In short order, the dominoes fell: the final 10 games of O'Neal's suspension were lifted, and he played like a demon upon returning; Arroyo found himself benched in Utah before being traded to Detroit (long after I cut him); and Jackson never reported after being traded from Houston to New Orleans. Basically, I dealt one of the best big men in the league for squat. That deal will haunt me, though I don't know that it's had much effect on my overall performance. I also let hometown favorite Ben Gordon get away before he turned into a quality player.

I've made some other moves that turned out OK, like nabbing rebounding machine Joel Pryzbilla off the scrap heap and dealing ballhog Jamal Crawford for Jason "White Chocolate" Williams. And the Yao deal (Yao, Luke Ridnour and Quentin Richardson for Okafor, Jason Richardson and Vladimir Radmanovic) has been in my favor. But all things considered, it's been a disappointing season.

On a positive note, registration for baseball season began last week. Getting a live draft together, however, has been about as easy as arranging a summit meeting among world leaders.

Today's iPod playlist:

The Road Leads Where It’s Led – The Secret Machines
An Unmarketed Product – Guided By Voices
The Place I Love – The Jam
What If You Don't Fly – Superdrag
False Alarm – Sloan
Just Listen – Adam Schmitt
Lay Your Burden Down – John Davis
Soma – The Strokes
I Like You – Morrissey
Llama – Love Tractor
Country Club – Love Tractor



Total songs loaded: 698

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home