Stosh

Monday, February 14, 2005

The Shammys

I won't go too in-depth on the annual nonsense that is (are?) the Grammy Awards, for two reasons: 1, I only watched about six minutes of the telecast and 2, Paul quite nicely recaps the silliness. But all you need to know is that a run-of-the-mill Ray Charles record took home eight of those damn statuettes. Had he not died, I doubt the record gets much attention.

I will say this, though: The tsunami-relief performance of the Beatles' "Across the Universe" was dreadful, Snore-ah Jones in particular. Even Stevie Wonder sounded terrible. Scott Weiland was clearly trying to ape David Bowie, and while he succeeded, it's a dubious achievement. It was mildly poignant, however, hearing/seeing Brian Wilson sing the "Nothing's going to change my world" chorus.

Oh, and the opening number was a disturbingly awful train wreck. Much like the Grammys are every year, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home