Stosh

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Freddy's Not Dead

I've been besieged with requests (OK, just one) to discuss last night's Amazing Race finale, so here goes nothing...

Freddy and the loathsome Kendra were the victors, much to my chagrin. But as annoying as Kendra was the entire time, you have to give the duo credit for running a good, fair race. They always seemed to be near the top, and when they weren't, they made up for it the next leg. For me, the biggest kick of the episode was seeing the race conclude back here in Chicago. And the most humorous moment was when Freddy, after realizing their cab driver had no idea where Ping Tom Memorial Park was--I didn't, either, but I figured it was in Chinatown--flagged down a Chicago cop and asked them to lead them to the park due to an "emergency." Now, I suppose this isn't all that amusing on the surface, but if you've ever dealt with a Chicago cop, you'd laugh your ass off like I did. Freddy slinked away almost immediately after the cop sarcastically asked what kind of emergency it was.

The way it was edited, it looked like Kris and Jon showed up at the park at the same time as Freddy and Kendra, only to find a train blocking their path to the entrance. (Freddy and Kendra must've come in at a different entrance.) If that's the case, what a lousy way to lose, particularly for the nicest team. However, I think it may have been an editing trick, as I thought I heard the train signal well after Freddy and Kendra had crossed the finish line and Kendra was blathering on about Freddy being "worthy of having her children." Let's hope Freddy is aware of just how "lucky" he is to spawn some kids as annoying as their mom.

Marlee recaps some other reasons why Kendra is so detestable, so go to her blog and read them. I'll talk about Hayden and Aaron instead. Simply put, Hayden is an annoying shrew. I lost track of her "Aaron, come on!" exclamations (and its variant, "Come on, Aaron!") after about 23. She also had a number of crying jags and mental breakdowns, which caused them to essentially quit the race rather than finishing. Her reward for being a raging beotch? Aaron popped the question! Hey, more power to the guy--and I have to admit it was kind of a touching scene--but I think he's got his work cut out for him.

Other classic moment: Nancy Boy and Rebecca read the clue about having to eat a Gino's East pizza, and Nancy Boy whined, "I hope it's plain cheese." They get to the restaurant and again, "I hope it's plain cheese." Naturally, he exhibited some sissy disgust when he found out a Chicago deep-dish pizza is generally loaded with tomatoes on top: "I don't eat tomatoes." The money shot was seeing Nancy Boy choking down the tomatoes as if he was consuming live worms.

This season of The Amazing Race was full of unlikable people, and I guess that's part of its appeal. However, I'm not at all looking forward to past Survivor contestants Amber and "Boston" Rob (or, as I like to refer him, "Douchebag") compete when race #7 kicks off in three weeks. I will be rooting against them, to put it mildly.

1 Comments:

  • I'm so deeply disturbed that those wretched people will be on TAR. I hope they get eliminated right quick.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home