Stosh

Monday, February 21, 2005

Lame Lament

Wanted to note one thing, while I've been talking about iPods, top 10 lists, etc....

It's clear to anyone paying attention that I like rock and roll, particularly of the "indie" variety. I appreciate blues, jazz and, in particular, classical as art forms. However, I have no real urge to listen to them when I could be listening to someone like Tommy Keene. Oh, and I despise most hip hop/rap.

I realize this makes me somewhat of a philistine, and I accept it as my lot in life.

2 Comments:

  • I don't think it makes you a philistine at all. I always appreciate your insights on music, MH.

    Don't forget, people used to say that blues music was crude, and that jazz was unmusical and sounded like a traffic jam. It's weird and ironic that today they're sometimes associated with snobbery.

    By Blogger Elbo, at 11:15 PM  

  • We can be Philistines together!

    I like the structure of rock and roll. Jazz doesn't give me anything to hang onto, and besides, it's wanky. Swing-era stuff is okay, though, and Ella. Classical music doesn't move fast enough for me to discern its structure, which means I don't pay attention.

    I need that structure. It comforts me. I think that's the same reason I can't stand most poetry--no structure, no rhyme--makes me crazy.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home