Stosh

Monday, March 06, 2006

Smokin'

Nada Surf was quite good last night here in Chicago, kicking off my personal Marchapalooza in fine fashion. (Related side note: Matthew Caws spilled the news that they're probably playing Lollapalooza here this summer. Will that make me want to go? Doubtful.)

UPDATE: Nada Surf is indeed in the Lolla lineup announced today (3/16). Just wanted that on the record.

Anyway, I do think a second guitarist would be helpful to fill out the sound, but that's a minor complaint. (The guy from ever-dull openers Rogue Wave played second guitar on "Do It Again" and that was the best-sounding tune of the evening.) They opened with an unplanned "Blizzard of '77" due to the snowy conditions, and they played "Popular," which was kind of a shock. Lots of surprised looks in the crowd.The place was absolutely packed, which, for some reason, I was not expecting. It thinned out a bit after Rogue Wave, so at least we were able to get into a halfway decent viewing spot.

Metro is now a non-smoking venue, as per city regulations -- bars/restaurants have until 2008 to comply, I think, so they're thankfully ahead of the game -- so some cranky anti-props to the beotch who decided to light up about five feet to my left with about 10 minutes remaining in the set. I guess she just couldn't bear it any longer.

3 Comments:

  • Actually, he said they're probably NOT playing at Lollapalooza. The whole thing was kind of a joke. Ha ha?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 AM  

  • I'm gonna agree to disagree on this. He did the whole "can you keep a secret thing" and later I heard him say, "We're not *not* playing," which to me was a way of saying they were.

    But my hearing's not great, so I could've heard wrong.

    By Blogger MH, at 12:16 PM  

  • A great-sounding torrent of this show is up at the dime.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home