Stosh

Saturday, March 04, 2006

On the Bus...

So I'm standing way in the back of a crowded Chicago bus after work last night, and this woman I vaguely recognize makes her way to the same area. It isn't until the next stop, when someone gets out and she takes that person's seat, that I realize it's Sally Timms. (Or, I was about 75 percent sure; I haven't seen the Mekons in over 10 years, but I was reasonably positive it was her.

Anyway, I decided to just ask, and, yes, it was her. The ironic thing about it was that I interviewed her over the phone 12 years ago. I was supposed to be interviewing Jon Langford, but for some reason he left the studio before the call. Sally answered, and I ended up having a great conversation with her. Last night, she seemed a little embarrassed that someone recognized her, but she was as nice and gracious as during that phone call in '94.

And while this sounds made-up, I heard "Blow Your Tuneless Trumpet" on my iPod about 10 minutes before I spotted her. Freaky.

Even freakier? Timms singing "Wild and Blue" is playing in the kitchen as I type this...

The unrelated photo? Stosh watching a Robert Pollard live clip. The cat's got good taste. (By the way, drummer Jon Wurster gets nailed with a beer can about halfway through the "Love is Stronger Than Witchcraft" portion of this clip.)

1 Comments:

  • Even though I grew up in the 80s and listened to a lot of great alternative music, the Mekons (and oddly enogh, the Pixies) were never on my radar. I was into the Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Aslyum, Camper Van... lots others. This was like 1986 or so. Still I missed out on the likes of Bad Brains, Black Flag, Mission of Burma...

    Anyways, I never knew much of anything about the Mekons until I heard that Too Much Joy song "If I Was A Mekon" from their fine "Son of Sam I Am" album (1989?).

    Now I guess I understand the line:
    "If I was a Mekon
    Maybe I could sleep with Sally"

    By Blogger EasyW, at 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home