Stosh

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Can't Beat Fun at the Old Ballpark

Random thoughts after a night spent at Wrigley:

*As the above article mentions, a black cat briefly ran on the field and into the stands. A similar incident in 1969 in New York unfortunately holds a spot in Cubs loser lore, but this cat wasn't entirely black, so I'm not freaked out about it. However, as an extremely wussy cat owner, I was more concerned with the cat not being harmed. After the cat jumped into the stands, a guy behind me goes, "Throw it back!" Worries about the cat's welfare aside, that was pretty funny.

*I'm not one to drink to excess at games, having done so only twice that I can recall. (Maybe it's been more and I just black out?) While I have no real problems with people who go to the games solely to get ripped, they often make the game experience a hassle for those who have to deal with their loutish behavior. Not a problem last night, thankfully, as the crowd was well-behaved. The muggy weather might've had something to do with it. Then there's the guy in the seat next to me, who fell asleep in the eighth inning; when he woke up, he had to go take a leak, then spent about 10 minutes trying to get back to the right aisle upon his return.

*I came about as close as I ever have to getting a foul ball.** A hard liner hit off a guy's shoulder two rows directly in front of me. Unfortunately, the ball bounced way left, so I had no shot after that. I was tossed a ball last year by, ironically, last night's starting pitcher, Glendon Rusch; immediately after the ball landed in my hand, I hear, "GIVE IT TO THE KID!" I was unaware that a kid two rows behind me had his sights on the ball. Rather than risk abuse for the rest of the game, I gave it to him, to much applause. Then the guy who bellowed earlier brought me a beer as thanks for handing the ball to the kid. It's the little things like that that make going to games such a joy.

*Perhaps fittingly, given the team I root for, the Cubs lose more often than not with me in attendance. Here's the year-by-year tally since moving to Chicago in August 2001; most of these took place at Wrigley, but the totals include a win in Milwaukee (Miller Park) in 2002, a loss at "U.S. Cellular" (formerly "new" Comiskey Park) in 2002 and a win at "U.S. Cellular" in 2003:

2001: 0-1
2002: 5-8
2003: 5-8 (including three NLCS losses)
2004: 6-4
2005: 0-3

Total: 16-24.

Ouch. Doesn't stop me from going back, though, and likely never will.

**I did snag a batting practice homerun ball at Camden Yards in Baltimore in '93. If anyone can guess the Mariners player who hit it, I'll buy you a beer.

5 Comments:

  • Jay Buhner?

    By Blogger Elbo, at 11:31 AM  

  • Incorrect. And it wasn't Junior, either.

    By Blogger MH, at 11:32 AM  

  • Tino Martinez? Mickey Sasser?

    By Blogger Jeff, at 3:41 PM  

  • Well, Jeff is half right in that it was Mackey Sasser. He'll get a beer on me the next time we see each other, which would probably be, given past history, sometime in 2010.

    By Blogger MH, at 3:47 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Alexandra, at 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home