Stosh

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Good Taste

So I go to Potbelly for lunch today--as I probably too often do--and what song do I hear but Sloan's "False Alarm". (Not from the acoustic troubadours they have in there every other day or so, but the canned music.) Usually it's classic-rock-a-go-go, so I was amazed and more than a little pleased.

On the subject of food, there's a semi-interesting discussion over at RustedRobot about snack food, healthy eating, etc. Since I got married in 2001, my wife has steered me in the right direction as far as eating well. She goes out of her way to make good stuff for dinner, and while I do slip up on occasion--I have a weakness for Potbelly and their amazing oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies--I've avoided the typical fast-food establishments for the better part of two years. However, I'll never give up Salsa Verde Doritos, unless a loved one was in harm's way. Tough call, even then. (Related side note: Apparently, this flavor of Doritos is somewhat difficult to find. I recommend making the effort.)

While I'm not losing any weight, like I'd like to, something's going right in that since March 2003, I've been sick a grand total of once (a horrendous cold in August of that year). Given that I work in what is often nothing more than a giant petri dish, with people constantly sniffling and coughing, I have to think there's some correlation. For me--someone who used to get the flu, at least two colds and occasionally bronchitis every year--to go this long without illin' is an accomplishment of some sort.

2 Comments:

  • I stopped getting sick two years ago too. Dietary changes may have played a part. I figured it also had something to do with working at home, not smoking cigarettes, and generally cleaner living. I'm also much more conscious of touching my eyes, especially when I'm, say, on a city bus.

    The only times I eat fast food anymore are during roadtrips. Sometimes known bad food is better than unknown food. I think Boss calls this the "T.G.I.Friday's Rule."

    Never been to Potbelly; they don't have them on the West Coast (though they do appear to have come dangerously close to Baltimore). If you do make it out here to visit, your best fast-food option is clearly In-N-Out Burger. Animal style, dude!

    I also recommend the burritos, as far as semi-indulgent but not totally unhealthy foods go. I think RustedRobot was well-fed for a week after experiencing Taqueria Can-Cun one time....

    By Blogger Elbo, at 12:55 PM  

  • At the very first sign of illness, you need to get yourself some Zicam. It is a miracle, I swear to God. The nasal swabs work the best, but any form of it is amazing. I don't know why or how and I'm not going to over think it, but Zicam is the way to go. You can thank me later.

    By Blogger Jada, at 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home