Stosh

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Slim Pickings

I interviewed Slim Dunlap last night for an upcoming Magnet article. (It's not like it's a big secret, but I'll hold off on what it's about until it's published; suffice to say, the Replacements figure prominently.) Dunlap is the journeyman's journeyman musically, but he's put out a couple of decent records, and the title track on Times Like This is one of my very-favorite songs.

In addition to enjoying our chat because he's a sweetheart of a guy, it completed my bizarre, purely coincidental personal milestone: I've now interviewed all of the living Replacements (save for drummer-for-five-seconds Steve Foley). Getting into the rock-crit game in early '93, I never would've imagined having the opportunity to do something like that. I'll never win any awards for my music writing, but I've gotten to speak with/meet/hang out with/become friends with some of my heroes, and it's something that I don't take for granted. Free CDs, guest-list slots, bylines, etc., are nice, but connecting with a musician you admire, even for just a single phone call or a handshake, is a treat.

In that vein, here's a story I wrote about Tommy Keene back in '98. Though I'd been doing reviews and smaller profiles for a while, this article is really the first longer piece I tackled. Parts of it make me cringe--I'd definitely downplay the fanboy stuff if I could have another crack at it--but I'm fairly happy with it overall. But the larger point is that since our first conversation, we've kept in touch, and I've tried to help Tommy out whenever I've been in a position to do so. The way I see it, his music has been such an integral part of my life since about 1986, whatever I can do is the very least of payback. And as I stated above, you can't really put a price on being able to have a beer and a real discussion with someone whose art means so much to you.

I'm rambling. (Tommy's new record is excellent, by the way.)

The Bulls' playoff victory on Sunday was sweet, indeed. The crowd was jacked up, which can be expected when your team has been pathetic for seven years. Let's hope they can eliminate the Wizards in short order.

The highlight of last night's episode of The Amazing Race? Boston Douchebag asking, "What's a gnome?" Moron.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home