Stosh

Friday, April 22, 2005

No More Nomar?

One of these days, I'm going to post something rather profound. Today, however, isn't the day.

My fantasy basketball team, the Festivus Miracles, finished dead freaking last. Humiliating. Injuries and flat-out mediocre play doomed the Miracles after being competive for 2/3 of the season. My friend JT has won the league all four years of its existence. Bastard. I've got nothing to add about this, other than to say the one brilliant move I made was drafting Dwyane Wade. I had him as a rookie, and this year he was even better. One of the best players in the NBA without question.

My baseball team, the Windy City Wrigleys, is off to a respectable start, though seventh-place isn't anything to brag about. (The league has 11 teams this year.) My offense has been keeping me afloat, with Brian Roberts (a 21st-round selection, thank you very much) turning into Babe Ruth. Mike Sweeney and Derek Lee have also been outstanding. Pitching-wise, my starters have been hit-and-miss (props to Mark Prior and Bartolo Colon; shame on you, Kerry Wood; passing grades, barely, for Jeremy Bonderman and Mike Mussina). My bullpen, on the other hand, has been about 98 percent unproductive.

Oh, and injuries to Magglio Ordonez (a 10th-round pick) and, much more depressingly, Nomar Garciaparra (what's more painful, his torn groin or that I got him in the second round?) have, well, hurt. Actually, I'm way more upset for Nomar and the Cubs than I am for the Wrigs. I have a sickening feeling that he may miss the entire season, and if that's the case, he very well may have made his last appearance in a Cubs uniform. That would be sad on many levels.

Let us pray for Cesar Izturis.

One final bit of sports talk: Scored tix to the Bulls' first playoff game since the Jordan era. The former Beat-a-Bulls are banged up going into this series, but it will still be exciting to witness this moment. The United Center does not rock like the old Chicago Stadium, but it gets plenty loud enough.

Music-wise, Tommy Keene sent me his latest record, which he's shopping around to labels. The fact that he's in such a position is about as sad as Nomar tearing his groin, but that's the music industry these days. Anyway, I haven't spent much time with the LP yet, but it sounds good so far. One of the songs, "Eyes of Youth," surfaced as a demo for what became The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down. I was disappointed it didn't make that record, but its last-minute addition to this new one makes me happy. I sort of nudged him to include it, so I'll take the credit if people like it. And none of the blame if they don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home