Stosh

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Gospel According to John

As promised, dear reader (and I do mean that in the singular sense), here's the interview I did with John Davis. The one-page piece derived from it is in the upcoming Magnet (Sleater-Kinney on the cover).

Davis is one of my all-time favorite songwriters, right up there with Pete Townshend, Paul Westerberg, Tommy Keene and Bob Pollard. That's large company (in my book, anyway), but Davis rightly belongs. Superdrag was an exemplary power-pop band, for lack of a better descriptor, with a lyrical depth generally not seen in its peers.

The interview goes into greater detail, but Superdrag is basically no more, and Davis is now a born-again Christian. It's a fascinating story, and though it's a little odd hearing Davis sing, "Thank you, Jesus" rather than, "I'm expanding my mind," Davis is way more approachable and non-judgmental than just about any other born-again I've ever spoken with. And his music hasn't suffered in the least.

I was going to go into a lengthy explanation of where I stand, religion-wise, but now I don't feel like it. Suffice to say, it's never played a part in my life, but I've come around to where I appreciate the peace it often brings to other people.

In unrelated news, the Dog Walker Diaries are now on hiatus. Ben has been replaced by Stacy, so we'll have to see if she's in any way creative. Ben hadn't been on his game lately, anyway.

Also, my complaints about Louisville's #4 tournament seed have been proven correct. (In my mind, at least.) A number of #2 and #3 seeds have been knocked off, and the Cardinals are playing as well as anyone left in the madness. Tough game coming up vs. Washington Thursday, but they can beat them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home