Stosh

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Carry That Weight

I finally got a my hands on Nada Surf's fourth record, The Weight is a Gift, a few days ago. Outstanding. It's not quite what 2003's Let Go was/is -- one of my favorite albums of all-time -- but as a follow-up to a classic, it's about as good as could be expected.

If there's a complaint, it's that the songs just aren't quite as memorable as those on Let Go. The latter's amazing tunes were indelible from first listen; this one has taken a while, but now it's numero uno on the ol' iPod.

For my thoughts on Let Go (and the LP has grown in my estimation since),
here's a review and an interview with guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Matthew Caws.

In other music news,
Paul informed me that Philadelphia's Bigger Lovers are calling it quits. Simply put, this is a damn shame. These guys put out three excellent power-pop (for lack of a better term) efforts, and I've always wanted to see the full band in concert. I saw a drummer-less show in 2004 after the drummer's dad passed away a day earlier; while inspiring, it definitely left me wanting the full-band experience. I may try to go the farewell show Nov. 5 in Philly. Not likely, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home