Stosh

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hard to Argue

Quote of the day, taken somewhat out of context from The Chicago Tribune:

Detroit Lions backup cornerback R.W. McQuarters, an ex-Chicago Bear, is certain (former Bears coach) Dick Jauron won't approach his second Chicago trip any differently.

"Dick is Dick," McQuarters began. "When I say Dick is Dick, Dick is Dick."

Completely switching gears, I was reminded today of a conversation I had with two of my friends four years ago regarding what we thought was the greatest rock 'n' roll song of all-time. One of my friends said the Beatles' "A Day in the Life." My vote is for the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again." "A Day in the Life" is inarguably a classic -- a milestone, even, for pop music -- but it doesn't really rock all that much. Both songs are epics, yet the Who's power and that spine-tingling Roger Daltrey scream seal it for me. Of course, I'm also way more into the Who than the Beatles, so it's not that tough a call.

The version of "Fooled" in The Kids Are Alright is beyond amazing, by the way. The shot of Pete Townshend jumping high and landing on his knees while Daltrey screams up a lung is the finest moment in rockumentary annals.

Reader(s), let's hear what you think.

2 Comments:

  • "Won't Get Fooled Again" is a fine choice, and there is indeed a mighty performance in The Kids Are Alright. But isn't there an even better performance in that movie -- "A Quick One While He's Away" from the Stones TV special?

    The best Beatles recording, to me, is "Strawberry Fields Forever." No one else ever sounded like that, not even them. But, like "A Day In The Life," it's not especially rocking.

    Nonetheless, for best rock'n'roll song ever, I'm going with "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes.

    By Blogger Elbo, at 11:50 AM  

  • Conduit for Sale ~ Pavement

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home