Stosh

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Over the Ryne

I swear, this is the last thing I'll post about GBV for a looooong while. Magnet asked me to try to recap the final show, and while I initially begged off, my memory was able to extract some additional details.

Meanwhile, was glad to hear the news of Ryne Sandberg's election into the Hall of Fame. I get into an annual argument with my friend Eric, a Jim Rice booster, over the fact that Rice is overlooked every year. I hear a lot of, "No way was Sandberg a better player than Rice." Forgetting the fact that that's just not true (to be fair, though, Rice's candidacy does have merit), Sandberg was the dominant 2B of his era, owns the highest fielding percentage in history for the position and was a dazzling combination of speed and power. He deserves enshrinement, and while I hold him in high-enough regard to believe he should've made it in on his first try, I'd say the third attempt is fair. Although, when you really think about it, Sandberg was a much better player than Wade "Chicken and Sex Addict" Boggs. Not a better singles hitter, mind you, but a better overall player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home